Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Luca Birthday Letter: By: Jake Hill (Luca's Uncle)

Dear Luca,

Hard to believe it's your first birthday. I remember everything like it was yesterday. From seeing you on all the ultrasounds, having lighting ceremonies, t shirt fundraisers, etc. No doubt your arrival was a much anticipated one. 

I remember waking up the day of your birth. Heading to the hospital while it was still so dark out from being so early. Feeling so much nervousness but also excitement for what the day could bring, another nephew. 

I remember seeing you for the first time after hours in the waiting room. Getting a chance to hold you and soak in your presence after thinking about it for so many months. 

I remember feeling so much love while in that packed hospital room. Everybody eager for their chance to hold you. I know you felt that too and still feel it to this day. 

I remember leaving the hospital after saying goodbye. Feeling like the day had actually been a week. Emotionally drained from all the ups and downs that came with it. 

I remember praying to you that night. Reintroducing myself as your Uncle Jake while tears came to my eyes. Seeing your peaceful face etched in my mind whenever I tried to close my eyes to sleep. 

Truly hard to believe all that happened a year ago. And I'm sure yours has been just as eventful. Meeting your Great Grandma and having the best seat in the house while watching your big brother turn 3 and your parents wedding day. 

No doubt you will never be forgotten. The band on my wrist proves it. I can't wait to see you again. I love you and wish you a happy birthday. 

-Uncle Jake


No comments:

Post a Comment